IMPORTANT DATES IN HISTORY OF UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH - TITUSVILLE CAMPUS (UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH AT TITUSVILLE)
¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Compiled by David L. Weber, 2013
January 23, 1957 - Dr. Ned Dearborn announced at an annual banquet address to the Titusville Chamber of Commerce that a major education and recreation project should be part of upcoming 1959 Centennial of Oil celebration¬† (First mention / hint of plans for a university branch campus in Titusville).
January, 1961 - Letters were sent by Oil Centennial, Inc. president Dr. Ned Dearborn and Titusville Chamber of Commerce Executive Secretary Robert Newell to presidents of both Penn State and University of Pittsburgh suggesting Titusville as a possible branch campus site.
February, 1961 - Penn State University not interested in Dearborn and Newell suggestion, beginning of University of Pittsburgh‚Äôs further discussion with Titusville civic leaders.
July 23, 1962 - Results of University of Pittsburgh feasibility study favor Titusville over Franklin for branch campus location.
October 15, 1962 - Announcement of a regional campus opening in Titusville made by University of Pittsburgh Chancellor Dr. Edward Litchfield.¬†¬†¬† Former John Bryan - John Archbold - John J. Carter - Louis McKinney mansion, Brown Street, Titusville donated to University of Pittsburgh by Mrs. Charlotte McKinney Haskell.
October 26, 1962 - McKinney Hall, 25 - room former Carter - McKinney residence, found very satisfactory for use as college classroom building after inspection, carriage house / garage on property also found suitable for proposed science laboratory.
February 4, 1963 - Dr. Joe M. Ball announced as first Titusville Campus president.
September 3, 1963 - Opening Day
September, 1963 - Opening of new Murdoch Boulevard dorm.
September, 1965 - Opening of townhouse-style housing north of ‚ÄúBall Hall‚ÄĚ dorms on Murdoch Boulevard.
August, 1966 - Pitt-Titusville Tuition, $195/semester (charged by the number of credits - not by semester)
March 10, 1967 - Four students on - campus organizations: Student Government, Pitt News Staff, Student Proctors, Social Committee.
April 20, 1967 - Construction of two townhouse - style women‚Äôs dormitories, north of existing dormitory / dining hall (Ball Hall), proposed by Pitt-Titusville.¬†¬†¬† Minor¬† improvements also planned for existing Ball Hall dorm.
Read the memories for from the 1960s
August - September, 1972 - Library moved from Titusville Woman‚Äôs Club building into Bennett Davis Hall on campus.
October 4, 1975 - Open House at Haskell Memorial Library.
October 13, 1977 - Dedication of Haskell Memorial Library, with State Rep. Jay Haskell (grandson of Harrison H. Haskell, son of Charlotte McKinney Haskell) and University of Pittsburgh Chancellor Dr. Wesley Posvar as featured speakers.
Read the memories for from the 1970s
July 19, 1983 - Samuel Johnson named Executive Dean at Pitt-Titusville campus following Dr. Joe Ball's retirement
October 20, 1983 - Lt. Governor William Scranton on Pitt-Titusville campus to formally dedicate the J. Curtis McKinney II Student Union Gymnasium.
December 10, 1983 - Dr. Joe Ball retires after 20 years of service.
March, 1988 ‚Äď The Spruce Hall 164-bed dormitory construction began.¬†
October 19, 1988 - the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville hosts convocation and installation of new president, Dr. Michael A. Worman.
June 8, 1989 - Pitt-Titusville establishes cultural exchange program with University of Montreal.
June 11, 1993 - Formal Dedication of the George J. Barco Center to provide customized education and training to area employers
September 10, 1993 - The University of Pittsburgh at Titusville dedicated one of its residence halls to Dr. Joe M. Ball, President Emeritus.
June 30, 1994 - Physical therapist assistant degree to become available at Pitt-Titusville.
April 25, 1997 - The University of Pittsburgh at Titusville will hold its first graduation ever for the forty-six graduates that will receive 48 degrees. Included in this class are the first graduates of Pitt-Titusville's two-year old physical therapist assistant program.
April 26, 1997 - The bell from the old Episcopal chapel at Townville has been donated by Betty Hallett to be placed on the Pitt-Titusville campus. The new graduates will have an opportunity to ring the 1876 bell at the close of the ceremony.
April 4, 1998 - Pitt-Titusville dedicates Broadhourst Science Center.
Read the memories for from the 1990s
May 31, 2001 - The Titusville campus will offer the first four-year degree program in Pitt-Titusville's 38 year history. Students will be able to earn a bachelor's degree in business in cooperation with Pitt-Bradford this fall.
August 1, 2002 - The University of Pittsburgh at Titusville will offer a new degree, Associate of Arts in Human Services, this fall.
October 3, 2002 - The University of Pittsburgh at Titusville offically dedicates the Helene Barco-Duratz Plaza.
June 30, 2004 - After 17 years at the helm of the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville, Michael A. Worman has decided to retire. His last day will be August 31, 2005.
January 21, 2005 - Pitt-Titusville announces plans for a two-year, full-time nursing program.
March 21, 2005 - Pitt-Titusville Lady Panthers win state championship in its first year of existence.
September 5, 2005 - Nursing program debuts at Pitt-Titusville.
November 18, 2005 - Pitt-Titusville held an inauguration ceremony for its third president, William A. Shields.
February 16, 2006 - In just the second year of existence as a program, The Lady Panthers won their second straight conference championship and secured a spot at the state championship.
April 30, 2007 - Pitt-Titusville graduates first nursing class.
July, 2007 - McKinney Hall has been awarded the Crawford County Historical Society's 2007 Preservation Award in the category of Multiple Use Structure.
May 30, 2008 - Henne-Westgate entrace dedicated in ceremony at Pitt-Titusville which completes the Barco-Duratz Plaza.
Read the memories for from the 2000s
August, 2012 - Dedication of the Serenity House
May, 2012 - University announces they will realign Pitt-Titusville‚Äôs administration under Pitt-Bradford President Livingston Alexander and will centralize administrative functions for both campuses at Pitt-Bradford
May, 2012 - Pitt-Titusville President William Shields was named an Associate Vice Provost at Pitt‚Äôs Main Campus
January 30, 2013‚Äď Ribbon-Cutting ceremony held for the new ‚ÄúMcKinney Commons‚ÄĚ Dining Facility in Student Union.