Probation, Suspension, and Dismissal
In determining the academic standing of students, the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville has the right to treat each student’s case on its merits. The primary consideration is the probability that the student can meet academic standards and achieve graduation in not more than five full time semesters or their equivalent. The committee may consider courses attempted, credits and grades earned, and the trend of performance.
These guidelines are solely for the purpose of determining academic probation, suspension, and dismissal. While these are minimal standards, any degree, program, or major may set its own higher standards. Those standards take precedence over these.
- Students who have attempted 19 hours or less (including transfer credit) and whose cumulative grade point average is below 1.50 will be placed on probation.
- Students who have attempted 20 to 35 hours (including transfer credit) and whose cumulative grade point average is below 1.75 will be placed on probation.
- Students who have attempted 36 hours or more (including transfer credit) and whose cumulative grade point average is below 2.00 will be placed on probation.
- Students who are placed on probation for a second consecutive term will be suspended for the following term.
- Students whose term grade point average is below a 1.00 will be considered for suspension for the following term.
- Students who are placed on probation for a third term will be dismissed.
- Students who do not complete MATH 0029, 0030 or ENG 0100 with a C- or better after two attempts will be considered for dismissal.
- Students who do not successfully complete any other course after three attempts will be considered for dismissal
Re-admittance after Suspension
- Students who desire to return after completing their suspension must complete a reinstatement application and submit it to the Campus Dean.
The University is pleased to award honors to students whose academic performance exceeds expectations. At the end of a term students may be recognized as a University Scholar or be placed on the President’s or Dean’s Lists. To earn academic honors for a term, students must have earned at least 12 credits and have a specific term grade point average. If a course has a mandatory grading system of S/N, grades of N will not be acceptable for University Scholar honors.
- University Scholar GPA of 4.00
- President's List GPA of 3.50 - 3.99
- Dean's List GPA of 3.20 - 3.49
The University offers courses for students who are not well prepared for college level mathematics and writing. To promote the academic progress of students in preparatory courses, students who test or place into MATH 0029, MATH 0030, and/or ENG 0100:
- Must take those preparatory classes during their first term at the University of Pittsburgh at Titusville and every subsequent term until they are passed.
- Will not be permitted to withdraw from those classes.
- Are strongly encouraged to use the resources of the Learning Center and other academic support services to their full benefit.
- Must pass all remedial courses with at least a C- on their second attempt or be dismissed from the University.
Students who test or place into MATH 0029 and ENG 0100 must enroll concurrently in IL 0210.
Students who test or place into MATH 0030 and ENG 0100 will be required to enroll concurrently in IL 0210 in certain academic programs or will be strongly encouraged to enroll concurrently in IL 0210 in other academic programs.